History of the Remembering War Victims Foundation
In the year 1915 the "Lübecker Landes-Ausschuß für Kriegsverletzte" (Lübeck Committee for War Wounded) was formed by the senate of the Free and Hanseatic City of Lübeck for the assistance of war victims. The funds which were available to the committee were used for grants and loans to war victims.
After the First World War until 1928 the committee was unable to be active as the capital had dwindled away through the effects of war and devaluation. New capital accrued to the committee through the payment of pensions to war bonds so that it was able to resume its work.
From 1930 capital was invested in land and houses. Eliminating the shortage of housing became the most pressing task of the committee. The houses and apartments built by the committee were rented to war victims.
In 1936 the committee was turned into the "Kriegsopferdank" foundation which continued the same work as the committee. After the Second World War the foundation was able to operate only to a limited degree due to lack of funds.
After the 1949 "Kriegsopferdankwoche" (Remembering War Victims Week) and via the dissolution of the "Senator-Possehl-Kriegsstiftung" and the "Gottlieb-Nicolaus-Stolterfoht-Stiftung", whose property was diverted to the "Kriegsopferdank" foundation, and via donations from Lübeck firms, the foundation was again able to assist war invalids and surviving dependants beyond the statutory opportunities.
The drop in the number of war invalids and surviving dependants made fulfilment of the foundation's purpose more and more difficult, so that the statute of the foundation was amended to the effect that now severely disabled people and their families could also be included in the beneficiaries.
Thanks to the statutory social security provision which has grown ever more extensive over time, the granting of aid now only plays a secondary role. The main tasks of the foundation lie today in the maintenance of housing suitable for old and severely disabled people.